Faculty of Cultural Studies

Universitas Brawijaya

TRUE FOLLOWERS WILL NOT DIE: A PSYCHOANALISIS STUDY OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN DIMAS KANJENG (TAAT PRIBADI)’S FOLLOWERS’ LOYALTY AND CRITICAL THINKING IN WANGKAL, GADING, PROBOLINGGO

10 - 01 - 2015 admin Warta FIB

Doctrine is a religious teaching and advice which is given to the followers by the leader. But the meaning of doctrine seems to be narrowed in the phenomenon occurred in Padepokan Dimas Kanjeng. Taat Pribadi’s charisma and skills in using spirituality to “mold” the creed of the people make Padepokan Dimas Kanjeng (DK) has 23,000 followers. In fact, his followers came from all over the country. The interesting thing is that 70% of the followers are educated who previously worked as politicians, artists, entrepreneurs, bank owners, etc. The meaning of the word “doctrine” is said to be “as if” narrowed because according to ordinary people, the thought of the followers of this hermitage has been directed to obtain the comfort of life by giving dowry to the hermitage which can be multiplied. The way to think that material is the source of happiness in the future is used by the leader of the hermitage to carry out the action and gain the loyal followers as much as possible. Moreover, the followers remained faithful even when the leader ‘Dimas Kanjeng’ had been detained by the police for homicides.

Based on the problems above, the researchers namely Nurul Rodiyah (Anthropology FIB 2015), Rizki Haidar Aqil (English Language Education FIB 2015), Novitri Nurimani Asha (Psychology FISIP 2015), Yayuk Windarti (Anthropology FIB 2016), Aprilia Tri Wahyu Ningrum (Anthropology FIB 2016) with supervisor Putri Kumala Dewi, M.Pd. conduct a research on A Psychoanalysis Study on the Relationship between the Followers of Dimas Kanjeng’s Loyalty and Critical Thinking.

The researchers are interested to know more what factors that trigger the followers to remain faithful even when His Majesty has been in prison, is it only because of the material? Then how is the relationship between the loyalties of the followers with the ability to think critically and logically if it is studied through a psychoanalysis side? Psychoanalysis is an effort to influence psychological processes in a psychological way, in which the unconsciousness plays a major role. Psychoanalysis consists of ID, EGO, and SUPEREGO. ID lies in the unconscious, is not influenced by the outside culture. EGO has no impetus or energy; it only executes the reality of principle. Meanwhile, SUPEREGO is formed by culture or norm. The results of the study show that the SUPEREGO has the most dominant influence that keeps the followers to be faithful, compared to other factors (comfort, common purpose for the benefit of the people, inscriptive belief, and the welfare of life). The SUPEREGO (Dimas Kanjeng’s preach) contributes 67% in influencing the choice of life decision of the followers to remain faithful. Doctrine given by DK to his followers are to always be earthy, patient, and tawadhu in facing the reality of life, facing trials with calmly, and prioritizing the interests of the people.

Meanwhile, based on multiple linear regression test, 56.4% loyalty level of the followers is influenced by the ability to think critically and logically, while the rest 43.6% is influenced by other factors (comfort, believe in dreams, and the existence of seeds of hope against magic). One example of the logical follower’s arguments in being loyal is that living in the hermitage is free, the opportunities to trade or the economic needs are assured, considering the majority of the followers are upper middle class.

Then based on the correlation test, loyalty has a positive relationship to critical thinking skills. In this case, the followers use the principle of pseudoscience that utilize their criticality to look for arguments that only support their choice of choosing the available bias. On the contrary, the loyalty of the followers with the ability to think logically has a negative relationship, meaning that if the logical thinking of the followers is low, then the loyalty is increasing. This is in accordance with field data according to informants “Our Majesty cannot be replaced, not even money, Honda CBR motorcycle can also be issued directly through his hands”, said the follower. Based on the results of the research above, it can be concluded that TO BE FAITHFUL, SOMEONE SHOULD BE CRITICAL, IT IS, HOWEVER, NOT ALWAYS RELATED TO LOGIC. [PKM/DT/MSH/PSIK FIB]